Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Just Keep Swimmin'

Kate was feeling much better today, and I'm glad because today was her first day of swim class.  I would have hated for her to miss it!

She is going every Tuesday and Thursday for the whole month of June to a 45 minute class at the YMCA.  She had a blast today and I think she's going to love it. 

We actually had 2 options when we signed her up- a 2-5 year old beginner class (Pikes) or a 3-5 more intermediate class (Eels).  Since Kate had swim lessons last year that basically only taught pool safety, I tried to sign her up for the Eel class.  The lady running the front desk really pushed to get me to sign her up for the more beginner class, since she is only 3, but I insisted that she would be okay in the more advanced class. 

 

The very first thing they did was dunk the kids under the water a few times.  Kate went first and had no idea what was coming. She wasn't thrilled when they dunked her under.  But she looked up at me and I gave her a thumbs up and told her "you can do it" and they dunked her under again. She was so proud of herself.
 

Then her instructor showed them how to float on their back.


And of course, they got to kick their legs. Her teacher would hold her under her belly and let her kick from one side of the pool and then all the way back.  Then he would flip her over and let her kick on her back from one side of the pool to the other.



He showed them how to "scoop ice cream" through the water and swim freestyle. At the very end, they had to pull themselves out on the side of the pool (where there were no steps or ladder) and then jump into the water to their instructor.  Kate was a little apprehensive at first but then she warmed up and jumped right out to him.

Overall, she loved it.  She loved it so much, she cried when they had to get out.


I'm SOOOO glad I didn't sign her up for the more beginner class.  They were right beside her class so I could see what they were doing, and just like I suspected, they were teaching the kids water safety and not to fear the water.

That would have been a waste of money on Kate.  Fear the water? Please. Honestly it might be good it she had a little MORE fear of the water.  My goal for these classes is that she learns how to hold her own in the water. It might be a lofty goal for a 3 year old, but if the next 7 classes go this well, I know she will be well on her way to learning how to swim.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you- new friends or old!

tmb

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow on Bloglovin
Ebates Coupons and Cash Back

tmb banner





 




 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2014 • All Rights Reserved