Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Miss Manners

Like the majority of girls, I would read this column occasionally growing up, along with Dear Abby.  Sometimes I would think "That's crazy" and sometimes I would agree with what Miss Manners had to say.  A lot of times I would think "Why do you even have to ask that?  Shouldn't the answer to that question be common sense!?"  Well, apparently it's not in this day and age.

You may call them old fashioned, or you can call them southern, but here's a list of things that I want Kate to know or do as she grows up. And maybe this is just a list that we all need to be reminded of every now and then.

1. Always say please, thank you and excuse me. 
2. Say yes ma'am and no ma'am and yes sir and no sir. 
3. Have common courtesy. Here are a few examples:
- The person you're physically talking to has priority, whether it is someone you know or someone you don't know, like a cashier at a register.  Don't answer your cell phone. Let it ring and call whoever it is back. 
- Hold the door for the person behind you. If someone holds the door for you, say thank you! Don't just walk right through it like it was expected that they hold it for you. 
4. Leave good tips for those who are serving you if they did a good job- restaurants, hotel maids, etc. If you can't afford to tip, you can't afford the service. 
5. If you get an invitation that requests an RSVP, respond!  Not sending a response isn't a decline or a "no", it's just rude. 
6. Send real thank you notes. 
7. Offer to help. 
8. Know the difference in an inside voice and an outside voice- and use them!
9. Don't interrupt someone when they're talking.
10. Being on time means being a little early. There is no such thing as fashionably late. 

I read a good quote the other day and thought I'd share it.  It's something to think about...

The hardest job kids face today is learning good manners without seeing any. 
Fred Astaire

4 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more (especially the phone part)!

    My wife and I are starting the adoption process. We just sent in our preliminary adoption application. When we announced we were going to adopted, a buddy of mine (Ryan Walton) sent me to your blog, and I'm not ashamed to say, I hijacked a few of your ideas! This blog is a great idea!

    Your daughter is precious. Good luck with everything in the future, and please, keep us in your prayers as we start this long, long process!

    Laine and Eric from babytabone.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Good luck with your adoption. It's definitely worth all the paperwork and wait. I absolutely love being a parent.

      Delete
  2. These were sooooo easy when she was 2 - 9.5. We hit 10 and we've hit "the attitude." What makes it more frustrating is that she hangs with boys at school instead of girls (not that I can blame her!). However, she's picking up that obnoxious pre-teen boy attitude that we're desperately trying to nip it in the bud! I grew up in Austin, Texas (arguably perhaps not the "south") but still very Southern in many many ways y'all...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Well, at least you're trying! Good luck with the pre-teen attitude! Hopefully it passes soon. Nice to "meet" a fellow Southern girl. :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you- new friends or old!

tmb

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow on Bloglovin
Ebates Coupons and Cash Back

tmb banner





 




 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2014 • All Rights Reserved